The people of our district understand that we need a different type of representation in order to solve the problems of today and prepare for the future. Rob Roark is that representative for District 35. Mr. Roark is a forward-looking, practical problem solver that understands the "dollars and sense" of our national financial situation.
I know that our government has a spending problem, not a revenue problem.
Mr. Roark helps us boil the problem down to its essence. Consider the following comparison:
- U.S. Annual Tax Revenue (income) - $2,170,000,000,000
- U.S. Federal Annual Budget (expenses) - $3,820,000,000,000
- U.S. Current National Debt - $14,271,000,000,000
- New Debt Added Each Year - $1,650,000,000,000
- Budget Cuts Proposed in 2011 - $38,500,000,000
By removing 8 zeros from the end of each number, we can see what this balance sheet would look like as a typical household budget.
- Annual Family Income - $21,700
- Family Expenses Per Year - $38,200
- Current Credit Card Balance - $142,710
- Additional Card Purchases Per Year - $16,500
- Budget Cuts - $385
This simple math illustrates the essential problem of deficit spending, and the paltry solutions that have been offered by our elected officials up to this point. When viewed in these terms, it becomes immediately obvious that just as no Texas family could sustain this kind of balance sheet forever, neither can the United States as a whole. As South Central Texans, we know everyday common sense and we know basic responsibility - and we know that we need a leader that's prepared to take responsibility to secure our future.
I will cut up the credit card. I will not add to our debt. I will only vote for a budget that begins to reduce this enormous burden and I will not allow that burden to be passed on to the next generation.